Our Fam

Our Fam

Thursday, September 8, 2011

It's time to save!

It's shopping day! You'd think that with such excitement I would be talking about clothing, shoes or make-up when in fact I'm this excited about going to the grocery store. :) I've dabbled in couponing over the years, but never found that they saved me that much money until recently. I got hooked to the show, Extreme Couponing, as well as discovering that I have a couple friends that already do very well using coupons. I figured that I could develop the art of using coupons along with sales to get items for free. Who doesn't love free stuff?! I've been working on my skills since May and it is like a game. I've saved a few hundred dollars just in paper coupons and this money is in a separate account! Now if you've seen Extreme Couponing you may think that I'm leaving the store with 50 mustards...that's not me. I usually have about three coupons for any one item so my stash doesn't get ridiculous. Some shopping trips are more fun than others depending on how many deals I get. Since May, I've accumulated multiple free tubes of Colgate, deodorant under $1, free hand soap, free contact solution and even free tampons. :)  Although I love free, items that are extremely discounted are just as exciting. :) Today wasn't a free day, but I did get six air freshener items for $5 (well 2 of the items were free :) ), BOGO on chicken and 88 cent milk. Watching the numbers at the register tick down makes me feel so accomplished in my preplanning.

Although groceries are usually where most of my finds are, I do read a blog that gives me tips on other places to score free and/or discounted items. For example, Smashbox online has a deal every Tues and Thurs on makeup. Today I bought an eye shadow on sale and received 4 other bonus items. I can't wait until it arrives! I've also scored two free 8x8 photo books from Shutterfly which saves $30 for each book! You gotta love that!

I work on all planning while the kiddos are asleep then I shop when Dylan is at school. Ava rides along in the front pack with her wide eyes watching everyone. The checkers actually remember us because of Ava. :) Then to reward myself and a successful shopping trip, I go to the in-store Starbucks for an iced pumpkin spice latte. Mmmmm!  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you're so good. I tried couponing last year but felt like I was buying things I didn't need. Maybe I'll try it again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes practice! The trick is not to buy for weekly items, but to buy items your fam likes when you get a deal and stock up.

    ReplyDelete