Our Fam

Our Fam

Thursday, October 20, 2011

I Miss Sleep!

I love being a mom and taking care of my cute kids, but I miss SLEEP! I remember when I was preggo with Dylan,

He was born a week after this pic was taken. :)
all of my friends that were already mommies told me to get lots of sleep. I took this piece of advice in stride. I knew that it was good advice, but I had no idea how much I would truly miss quality sleep!

Today is the most tired I have been in a while! When Ava was a newborn I was exhausted, but that's to be expected. Well, she is a different type of sleeper than Dylan which means I'm getting different sleep too. Dylan was a formula baby because he didn't want me. So, he began sleeping through the night regularly at 4 months. I knew I was lucky then, however, now I appreciate it even more! Ava is a little peanut and she is a nursing baby so sleep is just different. I got her to the point of only getting up once a night then she turned 6 months and started growing again. For those that don't know or may have forgotten, a growing baby means more eating which means more wake ups for mommy. Teething also becomes a factor that affects sleep and I/Ava are experiencing both of these...growing and teething!

So that brings me to this week of very little sleep. Monday night had nothing to do with Ava. Unfortunately, Dylan's tummy wasn't doing so well. He woke up twice to use the bathroom and not the kind anyone wants to do if you know what I mean. ;) The positive is that he woke up to use the bathroom...he never does this which is why he wears a pull-up at night. Between Dylan's tummy and an Ava feeding, I was up 3 times on Monday night.

Tuesday night Ava had a teething issue. For those of you that went to baby Steven's shower, you may remember what this type of incident looks like...inconsolable screaming. By 11:15pm I had her asleep in her crib after trying everything and resorting to prescribed motrin. Once it kicked in her mood changed. I was naive to think we were done. She proceeded to wake up 3 more times that night. Argh!!

Last night I got in to bed and I was praying for sleep. I knew that I was getting up once with Ava, but I had given her the motrin at bedtime to hopefully ensure that she didn't have any teething issues at night. Well, last night her mouth was great, but she was super hungry! Really?! I was up every 2 hours! At 6:30am it became apparent that everyone was getting up. I felt like my eyelids had weights on them! I needed my coffee!


I wish I could say I perked right up, but it didn't happen quite that fast. I was the crabby mommy for the first part of the morning which I really hate. I don't want to be like that! Dylan had a great night sleep so he was filled with super energy. This pair does not mesh well in the morning.

After my 2nd cup of coffee...

I was hoping for "magic"!
BTW, I don't know what happened to the pic...I didn't even take it this way. Hmmm.
I finally felt like I was crawling out of the sleepy hole. I'm not saying I feel alert now, but I feel like I can handle my day. Dylan and I read some books together; one being No, David! by David Shannon.

If you don't know the book, most of the text is "No, David!" as a little boy makes all the wrong choices. In the end him and his mom make up. Such an appropriate book for us sometimes. :)

When Ava woke up from her morning nap, Dylan wrestled a little. I usually have him stop right away, but she was having fun and I thought it was cute so I took a pic before stopping it.

We then headed to get the oil changed in my car. It comes with a free car wash...my favorite part. I now love the car wash for a different reason.


I think after 2 cups of coffee and fresh air, I may actually make it through this day. The tester will be if Maxim behaves. He's out and roaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment