Our Fam

Our Fam

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Time to Run!

I think I'm getting the hang of this running thing! I do most of my running on the treadmill because I usually have at least one kid with me. :)  A jogger stroller sounds very appealing, but we already have 3 strollers!

The first one that holds the carrier so nicely.
The second one is an "umbrella stroller", which is easier to transport when the carrier is no longer needed.


And third, The Double!
I feel kind of silly getting another one especially when we will be moving this summer. Who knows how running-friendly my new neighborhood will be, so I feel like now it is the treadmill during the week and a nice outdoor run on the weekends. After Ava goes down for her morning nap, I take off to let Randy and Dylan have some QT. ;)

The route I take is relatively flat and just around the neighborhood. I had mapped out a 3 mile run, but keep extending my run to increase that distance. Today I ran 4.3 miles! This is my longest so far. Along with this nice distance, I have also increased my running pace. I ran a 10:15 minute mile overall, which is great improvement from my 12 minute mile I was doing just a couple of months ago. My dad, who is a fantastic runner, told me that every pound lost decreases your overall time by 2.5 minutes. Crazy huh?! Well, I've lost about 5.5 lbs so I guess there is some truth to that. :) One thing that sticks with me as I'm doing all of this running is that my 60 year old dad runs marathons! His first one was at 50! I'm starting slower...I'm training for a 10K on March 3rd.

I have been wanting to sign up for a race for the last month, but was looking for a buddy to run with me. About two weeks ago, my moms' group got together for a moms-night-in party with wine and goodies. I was chatting with a fellow mommy that had a baby 5 months ago. She had just begun running again. I told her to keep it up even if she feels like she is going to die. It gets better. :) About 4 days later, she called me to let me know that I inspired her! She set her treadmill faster than normal and ran 4 miles! She asked me to run the race on March 3rd with her. I love this! Not only do I now have a race buddy, but it makes me feel good that she got excited just by our conversation. :)

Now I have a goal...my race! I'm such a goal-oriented person that this is a huge motivator to keep going. I have now added just one more thing to my never-ending list, but you know...I wouldn't be me if I didn't have a thousand things to do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment